Friday, June 15, 2012

Pearl MHX - Masters Mahogany Classic

Since 2004, my main kit has been a Pearl MHX - Masters Mahogany Classic. I've got a 22*16 kick, 13*9 rack, and a 16*16 floor. I was after that vintage sound, like so many others, and I think I pretty much got it (but see below for a caveat).  Over the years I've earned lots of praise for this kit from bandmates, other drummers, and sound guys/gals.

Funny enough, there's not much about MHX available online. Personally, I love this kit. Deep? You bet! Almost too deep!  Sometimes I had Evans EC2, which made them lower than low. But that wasn't ideal. Ambassador and Emperor have probably been best, or maybe EC1, which I also have used over the years. Once I used Remo Fiberskyn, but that also deadened the sound a bit too much.

But is it really "vintage"?

I should note that this kit has 45 degree bearing edges, which means it has more attack than true old school vintage drums I've played, like my Beverley or my friend's Dayton-era Rogers Holiday. I've learned only recently never to underestimate the importance of the bearing edge! While this drums has a deep, rich tone that might be called vintage, I would hesitate to call it a true vintage sound since it really does have that extra explosion on stick impact (AKA attack).

Update: Die Cast or Triple-Flanged?

My MHX kit has Pearl die-cast MasterCast hoops. I set up my Beverley mahogany 12" (with Gibraltar triple-flanged) and compared it head-to-head to my Pearl MHX 13" with MasterCast hoops. Both had coated ambassador with top and bottom tuned to the same note. On the Pearl, the die-cast hoop clearly cut down on resonance. The Pearl had the attack that the Beverley was missing, but the Pearl clearly rang down more quickly. My conclusion is that the die-cast hoop makes the 45 degree edge sound somewhat more vintage (that is, short), yet the 45 degree edge gives some of the attack that drum with rounder edges just won't have.

So, here's a track that shows what she sounds like (with a nice little Ringo-fill intro).



The snare on this track is an old Tama Superstar birch.

Anyway, I've loved this kit, and if you ever have a chance to grab one, go for it.

UPDATE: After many years of being a one-kit guy, I recently hit a midlife crisis and picked up my Natal Maple kit and an old Beverley. So I sold my trusty MHX to a friend. Nothing against her. I just found my Natal more playable and a better match for what I'm doing nowadays. Besides, I couldn't justify keeping an extra kit on top of my wardrobe!  I guess some of you out there know the feeling?






2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I've got a Masters Mahogany limited edition snare with a burl mahogany outer ply and gold hardware. It sounds GREAT for Jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Billy. I actually also had an MHX snare with a fantastic champagne sparkle finish. Thing is, it wasn't round. I don't remember the exact measurements, but it was pretty badly out-of-round. Sometimes I could tune it nicely, but in the end I sold it to a guy who didn't seem to care that the drum was imperfect. You can hear it here on one of its better days: http://vimeo.com/15600147 (the song is in Hungarian, from my old band Kispál és a borz, which was a pretty popular band over here)

    ReplyDelete