Monday, June 18, 2012

My Buddy's Tama Starclassic Maple

I share a practice space with a great drummer here in Budapest named Bence Bátor.  Bence plays a mid-2000's Tama Starclassic Maple.  Every so often I get to use his kit, and I gotta tell you, I just love it.  It's a standard 10*8, 12*9, 16*14 set-up.  What I love about these drums is that you don't have to hit hard at all, and POW, they just come alive. He just fit the kit with Vintage Emperors, and man, it's just a joy to play. I love my Pearl MHX, but you really have to whack it to get the life out of it. Not the Starclassic Maple. It's a much livelier play.

You can hear Bence and his kit on these tracks.  Some really great sounds on some fine tracks.


On this next one the drums are dampened quite a bit to create a "certain" sound that works quite well even if it doesn't illustrate how well the drums resonate.



He also has an 8 inch deep Tama Bubinga snare which is certainly one of the finest drums I've ever played. I'm pretty sure he's playing it with an Evans HD Dry on the tracks above. Top stuff.

Here's a video I made of his kit using my Tama Mastercraft (Imperialstar) snare from 1983



No comments:

Post a Comment