Friday, June 15, 2012

Geo. H. Way "Indy" Bronze snare

I just picked up a George Way "Indy" 5.5" x 14" bronze snare, and I've gotta tell you that it is an impressive piece of craftsmanship!

First of all, it looks downright CLASSY. That's the best word for it. Ronn Dunnett and his team did a fine job on the design.

Here's the picture from the eBay listing. It does not do the drum justice.



And the sound? We checked it out with no less than four professional drummer buddies of mine, and we were all blown away by the punch. For a 5.5 this puppy has some serious low end, even with a simple Ambassador at medium tuning. Ronn Dunnett confirmed that some of the extra low-end comes from the thin shell (though interestingly he doesn't advertise the exact thickness of the shell). Anyway, the 6.5 must be really something! They say Bronze is warm, and this drum is no exception. It has an absolutely pleasant and characteristic tone that I can't capture in words. I'll add some sound clips when I can!

UPDATE: Here are some samples!




One thing that impressed me is that the Indy really seems to stay in tune. I hit pretty hard, and tend to hit a lot of rim shots. Some of my other snares tend to get floppy and sloppy as the set progresses. But the Indy did well in its debut gig. I kept checking it and only needed to make a few minor adjustments as we moved along. Big bonus!

When I ordered the drum I did some research and found that it's not exactly "Made in Canada"... rather assembled in Canada, if you know what I mean. But now that I've held it in my hands and heard it, I could care less if parts came from Taiwan or wherever. It's just a fine drum. Period.

If you see one of these, grab it.  Really fantastic!


No comments:

Post a Comment